- About Athens, Greece (first modern Olympic Games)
- Coubertins idea was to unite & educate young people to give them a better understanding
- Athens was held in April 1896.
- vision of Barron Pierre de Coubertin
- two things inspired him to start the Modern Olympics
- 1. Dr William Penny Brookes Olympics in Shropshire market town of Much Wenlock
- 2. The English Public Schools of the nineteenth century which used team games to develop character of upper & middle class boys
- Olympics have certain principles and aims. These include promotion of peace and fair play
- Philosophy of Games is known as OLYMPISM
- promotes 1. balance between body, mind & spirit 2. joy from effort 3. role modelling 4. tolerance, respect for others
- originally the Games were strictly for amateurs
- the International Olympic Committee is the organisation with overall responsibility for what happens
- NOW THE OLYMPICS ARE A GIANT COMMERCIALISED SPECTACLE DRIVEN BY MARKETING MEDIA & SPONSORSHIP.
- THE LA OF 1984 WAS A TURNING POINT. PETER UEBEROTH WAS APPOINTED TO MAKING GAMES SUCCESSFUL
Similar Physical Education resources: