- 4 Main Areas of the problems in Ireland
- 1800- the right of the the irish to rule themselves was taken away by the British. Ireland was apart of the British empire for centuries but still had the ability to make its own decisions. But Britain passed an act of union to get rid of British parliament
- The irish didn't own their land. Rich british landlords did, who charged hight rents which meant farmers had to sell their produce to afford rent and usually starved themselves
- the majority or Ireland in the 1800's were catholic. However the British rule was to treat catholics like 2nd class citizens
- GREAT FAMINE
- 18-45-1849 a potatoe famine struck caused by a bacteria. 1 million people died, and half a million people emigrated to other places such as australia.
Similar History resources: