- 1980 - 1992
- Regan opposed previous legislation
- Administration 'colour blind'
- Regan took the line that his administration was colour blind- an attemp to resist affirmative action. Appointed fewer blacks than any president since Eisenhower
- Appointed fewer blacks than anyone since
- Economic slow down
- Lack of economic stability for Carter meant that he was unable to pass any civil rights legislations. Economic slowdown during Regan's administration meant there was a reduction in welfare payments which hit the black community hard.
- Congress more liberal
- Bush vetoed 1990 Civil Rights Bill
- Bush vetoed a Civil Rights Bull which woud have made it easier to challenge job discrimination. Only 16.9% of his judicial appointments were from radical minorities
Similar History resources: