OCR Chemistry Exam June 2012

De-Anna

Wed 23rd May, 2012 @ 09:47

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going to come up today???

Lizzie Keys

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 10:12

Was this the Unit 2 exam about enthalpy and hydrocarbons?   if so how did you find the exam? Most people in my class found it impossible !

ELectrica!

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 10:18

it wasnt a fab paper, majority of the content was about green chem than organic chem

the m/z q (4mark in the beginning was kinda wierd), 

i liked the last q (6 mark q) about the compounds b,c,d (ester, aldehyde, carboxylic acid)

RFC1871 (Eden32)

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:08

This may be a stupid question, but how were you both able to talk about the exam at 9.12 and 9.18, when the exam was still going???

Lizzie Keys

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:17

haha, we are talking about the paper that was yesterday afternoon.  I liked the m/z question at the beginning  and the radical substitution one with bromine :).... i think i messed the 9 marker up at bit and got confused with the enthalpy change of formation question.

ELectrica!

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:24

- i got confused with the enthalphy change of formation too . Since it was on about Hess law i did the enthaphy cycle for the enthaphy of formation, i didnt bother as it was only two marks

-the radical substitution was ok but we were given less space for a 7 mark q because we had to write the equations and explain the process.

ELectrica!

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:26

RFC1871 (Eden32) wrote:

This may be a stupid question, but how were you both able to talk about the exam at 9.12 and 9.18, when the exam was still going???

the exam was yesterday(ocr as unit 2 f322)

RFC1871 (Eden32)

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:30

Oh right, because i had my OCR chemistry exam this morning!

Lizzie Keys

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:32

oh i just remembered one of them which i got confused on, and that was we were shown various steps of a reaction and we were asked questions about it.  i think i did ok but for some reason couldnt work out which image it was refering to when they said 'step 2' because the arrow was between two pictures. lol.  am i being really dum or did you feel the same?

ELectrica!

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:36

yeah....that was a stupid question because i couldnt get my head around the images or even the arrows ..its just a silly question

normally they will give us at least 4 definitions to answer like the enthalphy of formation/reaction, and only one definition came up(curly arrows) ..i was quite disappointed really

ELectrica!

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:39

RFC1871 (Eden32) wrote:

Oh right, because i had my OCR chemistry exam this morning!

how was it?

RFC1871 (Eden32)

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:40

it was good. thanks

Lizzie Keys

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:43

I am glad i am not the only one then :)

I know! all the past papers included loads of definition questions! and i spent loads of time memorising 4 pages worth and none of them came up.

Also, in the past papers they get easy enthalpy change questiongs where they are given masses in grams, yet we have to get it in tonnes which takes more working out and confuses my brain so i didnt get time to answer it in the end.

ELectrica!

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:51

i soo agree, my chem teacher told us to learn each and every definitio

%yield was weird-  i mean to work out percentage yield you need the mols, but they give it to us in tonnes and convert to g. it was confusing me so i didnt want to waste time on a silly q like that 

...the grade boundaries for this paper better be low, because the majority of ppl i kno found the paper impossible

Katie

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:52

Thought it was a horrible paper tbh- nothing like any of the past papers- like in January where OCR seemed to move the goalposts and expect a lot of foreign application of knowledge. Hopefully this will mean lower grade boundaries. Too many questions asking about describing mechanisms compared to maybe 10 marks on mechanisms on previous papers.

Katiehh

Lizzie Keys

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 11:56

yeah i agree, people who decide what goes in the papers are mean !

ELectrica!

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 12:14

the examiners should have some sympathy towards our exams: they move the exam dates like one month ahead (compared to the other years where you had to take your exams in june), the media keep saying that alevel exams are "too easy" and they no longer have lots of modules like in the past but a linear like unit 1/2 exam

Katie

Thu 24th May, 2012 @ 19:05

Yeah I agree. Can anyone explain why the exams are all so early this year? It seemed alittle unreasonable to have such a hard paper with like a month less to prepare.

Reply to this topic

Member Login

Please log in to post here

Please register.

News

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required